Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

December 6, 2012

Twelve Days of Kauai

Having been here a good long while, but only the beginning of the full adventure, it's been excellent. With an abundance of time it's easy to take it easy and not cram every day with activities in an attempt to "do it all" like a vacation. Just what I wanted to do.

From my first trip to the Big Island I learned that it takes about two weeks just to settle into a new rhythm and that's about where I am now on the arc of this journey.

For example, yesterday I slept in and then went to Lihue to do a few errands.
  • Bought shoes for garden work - I will be volunteering doing work at the National Tropical Botanical Gardens later this month and they require closed-toe work shoes.
  • Picked up Apple OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) to upgrade this laptop (more below).
  • Hamura Saimin for lunch.
It was a good, leisurely day.

Addendum on computer stuff

I brought the six-year-old MacBook Pro out of retirement to take along on this trip. I actually considered not having a computer - well, just my Android phone, which is quite a computer - but of course in the modern digital age that would have made blogging and photography quite difficult. Definitely glad I have the laptop now, even though I spend too much time on it, though nearly all is documenting the trip in the blog and photo post-processing. With the original Tiger (10.4) version of OS X, I'm happy with it; however, the world has mostly moved on, and most software today requires a newer version.

So I finally gave in and for $39.95 got the OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) disk at the Lihue "Mac Made Easy" store (not an official Apple retail store) from the friendly genius-looking guy. Glad I did: after about two hours I had everything running again and also could now install Google Chrome, at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment