Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

December 23, 2012

Waimea Canyon Hike

After a late start and to be back for the Christmas parade in town ahead of them closing the roads, I did a short hike on the Canyon Trail in Waimea Canyon [map]. The canyon roughly is Y-shaped with the two main top branches merging and flowing south as the Waimea river, meeting the ocean at the east edge of town. This hike is along the back of the valley on the top-left branch of the "Y" and leading out a ridge to overlook where the two branches meet above the center of the "Y".

Park at Puu Hinahina lookout (well signed, right off the 550 highway) and take the trail from the back of the parking lot heading off to the left into the trees. This leads through light forest down into a valley - a ditch system runs through here, surprisingly - passing an open ditch where water flows between two underground channels. Climbing out of the valley you reach a junction with several other trails back here in the area "above the top of the Y".




Taking Canyon Trail you slowly descend - passing the vista branch to the right, and taking the next right branch - leading out to a ridge overlooking the valley. The trail continues out and down over crumbly ground: thankfully, there is no "end of trail" sign, but you have to judge for yourself as it gets increasingly steep and easy to slide out on loose rock. Great views both up and down the valley surround you.
To the left looking down the valley toward the ocean (miles away) are stone arches that look like they must be man-made, yet are located in what appears to be an extremely inaccessible location -- I have no idea the actual story.

On the return, I took the side branch (right) to the vista, just a short distance and hardly any climb off the main trail. Goats were there as I approached so I gave them room; the three of them sauntered out of the woods and under the railings down into the canyon. Immediately I went over to the stop they were last seen and looked for them, but just say the very steep precipice - they must be somewhere below that, incredible that they could negotiate the terrain so quickly down in a place like that.

Earlier that day

I had breakfast at six and left for Koke'e before full daylight heading up the mountain. I was feeling quite sleepy (though I awoke without an alarm) and it became an effort to keep my eyes open, but I made it to the lookout at the end of the road by 7:30am. I took a little nap in the car before heading out ... and awoke at 9:30am to my surprise. Now a late start for the Pihea Trail, I headed out and found the trail immediately muddier than I had expected. Within 1/4 mile I decided to change plans: I was tired, time was short, and the trail condition was sub-par. I was however rewarded with some amazing Kalalau Valley rainbows I will post soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment