Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

January 1, 2013

New Year's Day on Kauai

I was most fortunate to be invited to two parties: one on the beach here in Waimea and one in Koke'e up the mountain. Since the Koke'e folks were depending on me to bring champagne (I managed to get the next to last bottle in Ishihara Market) I needed to be there on time.

Before leaving town I went by the beach but they were just setting up the tent, so I dropped by Puna's place where she had been baking with help from Uncle Stanley, a school classmate. They invited me to sit down for freshly baked banana bread and mango bread, lilikoi gelatin, and coffee. It was a delicious pre-dinner treat and after chatting they presented me with baked goods for the other party and I headed up the mountain.

The Koke'e party was at a beautiful airy cabin a mile or so off the main road. A spacious porch opened off the main big room in the backyard was set with a long table and candles. Potluck pupus (appetizers), dinner, and dessert were great and plentiful. Some stand-outs were fresh guacamole, lau lau turkey (turkey roasted wrapped in ti leaves), and lemon meringue pie.

After dinner we were treated to a set of Hawaiian guitar music - three of the guests played guitar - and then champagne. I got back to Waimea in time to get out to the beach just before midnight when all the fireworks went off. A few soaring lanterns were launched successfully, drifting up until no larger than a bright star. Fireworks and firecrackers continued on until well after 1am before things settled down. I understand that here fireworks are strictly a New Year's thing, not on the Fourth of July.

Happy New Year's to all!

4 comments:

  1. Not having fireworks on the fourth of July makes sense since Hawaii's becoming part of the United States was essentially accomplished by a coup d'état. What's to celebrate if you're Hawaiian? Your land being privatized? Becoming a defacto second class citizen in your own land?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been here in July myself so not sure how absent fireworks are, and not sure if what I was told is true, or more specific to Kauai versus rest of the state.

      Curious how other recently-add states and possessions of the USA celebrate the Fourth.

      Delete
  2. On the other hand, the generosity of the locals sounds incredible. Sounds like you had a very special day. You are in a culture that values people over things and knows the difference between more and enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, although I also want to give credit to my kind and generous friends specifically. Also, I would say to the extent it's incredible it is only in contrast to the norms of modern suburbia: two or more generations ago people were much more open and generous, even to strangers, than today.

      Delete