Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

February 12, 2013

The Friendliest Post Office in the U.S.A.

Kudos to the friendly fellow at the counter at the Waimea post office for exceeding expectations and not succumbing to the stereotyped postal worker attitude. Mahalo!

Today I sent off a large, heavy shipment to the mainland packed in a large reused box provided by the local hardware store. I should have thought to hide printed labeling "Muriatic Acid" (which was not what the contents were) so instead of chastising me and rejecting it he loaned me a black marker and helped me black it out. Where I had tape the box the marker would not cover it up so he ingeniously produced the border of sheets of stamps which we pasted over those parts and then blacked out.

Then he really impressed me by presenting me with a letter held for General Delivery when I was about to leave: he had noticed my name on the return address and knowing I was not a local checked for it without being asked.

Nice job! I hope he enjoys getting Saturdays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment