Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

February 12, 2013

Nualolo - Awaawapuhi Trail Hike

This hike is probably my favorite (in the world), and I am doing it about once a month, never disappointed or bored by the repetition. Instead it has become a familiar pastime; each time I notice something new or different. This is my fifth hike this visit, and I am sure I have done it once each previous visit making a total of eight.

Update: unfortunately, the connecting cliff trail is now closed indefinitely.


At the top right is the view down into Nualolo valley from the cliff trail that connects the Nualolo trail to the Awaawapuhi trail. I won't attempt to put up photos from throughout the hike, they don't do it justice. The shots with some fog/mist would be from the latter part of the hike.



Heading out just before nine from the Koke'e parking lot I noticed the folks parked next to me were also getting ready for a hike as well. I said hello, headed off, and noticed they were right behind me. A couple of miles down the Nualolo trail they caught up with me and we started talking and I got to know and hiked the rest of the way with Kay and Sabine visiting from Germany. Even on a familiar trail it isn't ideal to hike alone so it was very kind of them to let me join them and we had a good time talking.






Hiking the loop, go down the Nualolo trail (which is the steeper decline that is best avoided climbing up if you do the loop). The trail starts in Koke'e forest and descends into drier and drier terrain, leading out over a narrow ridge to the point, back a half mile to the cliff trail junction that leads across the back of the Nualolo valley. The cliff trail connects into the Awaawapuhi also out near the end at the point over a ridge. If you are short on time or water head up to the right, or for the full tour go left to see the point. The Nualolo is the more spectacular point with nearly 360 degree view out over the valley, beach, ocean, and you can see a few valleys up the Na Pali coast. 


View out the ridge from Awaawapuhi trail end
Finally, head up the Awaawapuhi trail to the (separate) trail head and walk back (to the right) 1 1/4 miles to your car. If you have two cars, of course, shuttle one ahead to save the walk back, but it's mostly downhill and I find it a relaxing cool-down after the long eight-plus-mile hike (almost ten with the walk back).

See also: Nualolo to Awaawa'puhi Hike and Nualolo - Awa'awa'puhi Trail Hike previous posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment