Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

March 4, 2013

Last week

The pace is picking up as my wonderful time on Kauai continues, but of course the return to the mainland inevitably approaches. It would be misleading to say that I haven't had time to blog but rather to say I've had so many things to do while I'm here that I just haven't gotten to it.

Heliconia
Also there is a trend of the experience being harder for me to capture here, as I get into the rhythm of living here, rather than visiting, it takes more explanation and requires more time to compose it into words. Another blogging challenge as I write here is that it's hard to write briefly: each topic tends to open up and get longer and longer so it's hard to get a whole week down without spending an inordinate amount of time while Kauai awaits me just outside.

This morning as I look out over the valley in the dawn light, I can catch up here. Several posts should follow up with more detail, but for now, in no particular order...

Worked three days last week in the NTBG Lawai gardens, beginning with Monday in Mark's Garden again. I think Mark was really pleased to here I had so christened his area and was able to share it, in a very small scale way here, with more people. We worked cleaning up along the west side of the stream a ways north of the bridge in the south portion of the McBryde. Mark whacked weeds for part of the time while I raked out the sloped planted area. After lunch we cleaned up by the dam and then swung through the waterfall area. With a little experience from before under his tutelage it was great to single-handedly clean up a clump of heliconias, turning it from neglected looking to nice looking (next time should shoot before/after photos). The torn dried out leaves look really shaggy, not to mention the dead blackened withered flowers (and inside there the rotting stalks are gooey-stinky) but afterward with only green leaves and robust stalks it's a handsome plant, even without the showy flowers.

I visited my friends on the pineapple farm for another great time in the field learning a bit more about pineapple propagation and what it takes to produce those wonderful Sugarloaf pineapples. Not to mention gourmet home-cooked dinner (wasabi basted grilled fish!) and plenty of talk story.

In the Allerton garden I got to work in the bamboo garden clearing out fallen and falling plants, some of which out by the road were potentially a safety issue. I had asked about working there and learned they only go in rarely (with so much else for the small staff to do, and it mostly takes care of itself) but I guess some gusts tips the balance in my favor. It's a wonderful place to be in the middle of when the wind blows and the plants make music.

On Thursday my friend Peter joined me for a short visit to the island after hearing me go on and on about it. We had good plate lunch from Koloa fish market and he got a quick tour of the south/west before dark.

Also on Thursday I moved from Kalaheo to Hanapepe that just worked out as it provides plenty of room for the two of us (it's set up to sleep 4 comfortably). The owner is Japanese and very friendly as well as island-style laid-back and the place is clean and well stocked so it's an easy place to be, plus a great location for seeing the west.

Peter wanted to work in the garden since he volunteers at a large food garden in his community once a week already. We did raking and clean up in the morning, then toured the garden in the afternoon. We were very fortunate to get an amazing tour by the garden foreman of areas of the garden I hadn't noticed before much less even knew existed. Unfortunately, there are large sections that are largely neglected due to insufficient funding, but we were able to get in and see it all easily. This deserves detailed post with photos to begin to convey: an absolute treat and great that Peter was here for the ride.

Saturday we visited the north shore stopping at Anini Beach, Hanalei Beach, Hanalei Sunshine market, Common Grounds, and the pineapple farm. From Hanapepe that's about 100 miles of driving and it was a long but fun day.

Sunday we did a wonderful hike in the depths of Koke'e with local friend Ed and his 4WD. The Mohihi-Waiala'e trail - deserves another post with details - starts six or seven miles off road at the end of a gnarly dirt road and goes across a stream, up some hills, and heads toward Alaka'i. The first part of the trail is hard to find and we got off-trail losing some time but it was a good little adventure. We didn't get all the way to the end of the trail but it was a good hike with plenty of canyon views, varied terrain, and unmistakably it is way, way off the beaten path, absolutely quiet and still (no helicopters even!).

Monday morning: we are off to the Waimea town historic walk ...

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I know what you mean about it getting harder to write. Happens with folks on the ice, too. Thanks so much for persevering, and letting us continue to follow along on your adventure, even as it becomes everyday life for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting comparison - tropical Kauai to Antarctic - but I think I can see the parallels: remote small town communities with distinctive environments that attract eclectic characters.

      Delete