Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

April 12, 2013

Day 2

I won't continue these long detailed posts very long, but until I get settled into the rhythm it's the best way to capture the days. Besides, sun is starting to peak over the horizon and the beach is right outside my backdoor so I want to make this short and sweet.

As planned we drove the load back across the island and shipped it off for Maui uneventfully. Breakfast at the Tip Top, then to the airport to drop off my friends. Only Kumu could get on an earlier flight so Jackie and I decided to see the west side with the hours until her flight, playing "tourist". We were a most unlikely pair: native Hawaiian Jackie playing tourist, shown around Kauai by this haole guy just landed days ago playing local host.

In a few hours we squeezed in many of my favorite spots:

  • a bag of Taro Ko chips (taro crisps)
  • visited to the Talk Story Bookstore
  • walk along Waimea beach by the pier
  • the West Kauai Visitor Center
  • seared wasabi ahi tacos at Island Tacos
  • brews at Kauai Brewing Company
At the visitor center luckily Puna was in so had a nice visit to catch her up on things while Jackie checked out the collection in the museum section. Back to the airport in plenty of time.

From there I was off for Anahola where I found ridiculously luxurious accommodations, beachfront no less, courtesy my good friend here. After a beach stroll we had dinner (honey sesame encrusted fish with broccoli) and more talk story.

Today I return the F-150 truck generously loaned to me by a friend of a friend to Kalaheo, bus to the airport to pick up a rental car and probably head back to "The Compound". From there, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment