Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

October 2, 2013

A New Chapter

The Kilohana Overlook is on the far (east) side of Alakai Swamp. The perfect crescent shape of Hanalei Bay is visible in the distance.
I'm heading back to Kaua'i next week and very much looking forward to it. Look for this blog to get rolling again very soon.

I've been thinking about how this blog best adapts going forward as my trajectory to the island strengthens. While I have be no means seen the entire island by any stretch of imagination, I have covered most of the easily accessible parts one way or the other. I need to get a lot more experienced before attempting to go further off the beaten path: though I have some promising leads it will take time. Most of the travelogue sort of things I can write about usefully I already have.

Let me explicitly invite comments from anyone "out there" as to what they would like to see more or less of. While I can go deeper there isn't a lot of new material I expect to come up with unless I broaden scope. And of course I hope to keep it interesting.

My current thinking is to start writing about living on the island, shifting away from visiting the island. In the past year I have spend well more than half my time there (though I have not fully moved there, I am working on that) so have a unique transitionary perspective that goes beyond the typical visitor's. While I have tried to clearly express my own point of view, things should get more opinionated and more subjective because when you live somewhere you don't exactly stay objective about the place.

My favorite Kaua'i blogger recently called it quits (for the time being at least) and while I can't begin to fill that hole, nor am I that plugged into goings on, I can say that I will miss her insights and it does stand as a shining example.

No comments:

Post a Comment