Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

November 2, 2013

Tahiti Nui


Three and a half years ago* on my first visit to this island I happened to walk into the Tahiti Nui on a Friday night. I had heard of it as an institution on the north shore as a Kauaʻi-style night spot. To my very pleasant surprise, that night Keli'i Kāneali'i played two great sets. I knew his music from the days when he was the Hawaiian half of the group Hapa (very big in the islands), now solo Keliʻi lives here and often plays local gigs. You can find his performance schedule here.

I have mentioned the Nui previously as recommended Local Grinds but it deserves more than just a mention. The staff are great - they are quite a diverse group and rotate frequently but always friendly. The Nui is a bar, renowned for their Mai Tai (which I have never had), but the food is quite good, too. The Caesar salad is excellent and generous proportioned so almost always this is my meal, with a beer (they have several Hawaiian brands on tap).

Also highly recommended (but I have not had yet) is their Wednesday night Luau. One of the staff described the full course menu to me and it was impressive, including an imu-roasted pig.

On the north shore for good food, good music, good times, check out the Tahiti Nui, it's on the right as you just before you get to the heart of Hanalei.

* April 2, 2010 to be exact
** imu is a traditional fire pit oven

No comments:

Post a Comment