Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

November 25, 2012

Arrival

Arrived yesterday via Honolulu. On the same flight was none other than Led Kaapana (slack key guitar) who we saw perform last week at Bake's Place. By the way, Bake's Place is a good venue for jazz on the east side of Seattle recently moved into a nice location in downtown Bellevue. Happened to run into Led waiting for a restroom and chatted a bit.

Hawaiian Airlines I highly recommend; they have a good deal called Coach Plus: for $50 extra you get two checked bags and no change fees. The flight was a little late and the connection afforded no time for a meal and I noticed my carry on bag (cameras and laptop, that's personal, not work laptop) felt heavier. By the time we landed on Kauai I was absolutely exhausted; in Seattle I was surprised how light my bags felt but now they seemed at least twice as heavy and about all I can carry.

I picked up a 4WD Jeep rental heading off to Hanapepe where I'll be staying the next two weeks. The rental is twice what I need and very clean and nice, it's the lower level of the owner's home with a separate entrance. Two living rooms overlooking Hanapepe valley with a kitchen, bath, and two bedrooms behind.

By now it's quarter to five and I am famished: Island Tacos is open until five so I called ahead. Arrived just a few minutes past five - no problem - for three Ahi Wasabi soft tacos. The place is not much to look at with picnic tables out front but the tortillas they make themselves and the food is fresh and portions generous. With a little Hawaiian  Habanero Heat it's delicious and very messy. Picked up some food at Ishihara Market and stopped at the Russian Fort to see the sun set but with a lot of clouds on the horizon not much to see. Crashed before eight for a nice long rest.

A crude map of Kauai to show my whereabouts: the white dot is where I am staying. Clockwise from the top, major cities are Hanalei, Analhola, Lihue, and Waimea.
You need a newer browser to see this graphic. See here for version compatibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment