Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

The family is gathered at home for Thanksgiving and for many reasons this year it's specially appreciated because it isn't taken completely for granted. The traditional preparation of a bountiful meal together is an enduring ritual, but it's also a nice quiet day with time to contemplate while the turkey roasts in the oven.

This year I'm thankful to have the support of family, friends, and my coworkers to take the time to venture to Kauai. Day after tomorrow I should be on the plane and I recognize how lucky I am to have the luxury and backup to let me pursue it without much guilt. Through no great planning it's working out that I'll largely miss the winter season code this year. That could be a dangerous precedent to set.

Every past visit to Hawaii, even before I discovered Kauai, at the airport checking in to go back home I very explicitly wonder to myself, why am I going back and leaving this place? 

Pre-Kauai I did figure out that one week in Hawaii was a bad plan: I was just beginning to adjust to island life and really enjoy it. I think it only took one trip (to the Big Island) to learn that two weeks was minimum. Kauai then upped the ante: two weeks felt minimal, three was very nice indeed but by no means too long at all.

This trip will let me truly explore the time scale to a whole new level. Already I'm planning on rebooking my return further out. Staying on through Christmas is the best (and only) Christmas gift I could ask for.

For all of this I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment