Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

November 11, 2012

Hello World

In two weeks I'm booked to fly to Kauai for an extended visit. The plan is very much to go and take it day by day, rather than plan an itinerary. At worst I am at risk of getting bored in paradise, but that's a risk I'm prepared to take.

Since I first visited the island in 2010 it has enthralled me. For 2011 and 2012 vacation, it had to be Kauai: the only question was when and how long I could stay. Now I'm fortunate to up the ante and settle in for a good long stay.

Recognizing that Kauai is more interesting to me than anyone I know, this blog will get the full force of my writings about the experience, sparing friends and family the occasional too-long email. Kauai second-hand doesn't really translate, and it's so remote. Many folks remark, "Oh yes, I've visited Hawaii." ... "Actually, I'm talking about Kauai; Hawaii is the state, each island is rather unique."

My plans for this blog are like this upcoming visit: a work in progress. In addition to my personal travelogue I expect to write about all things Kauai: interesting places, a little history, perhaps about some of the people I meet there.

Why Kauai? From my first visit I was struck by the fact that the road does not go around the island, and it's the places near the ends of the road that particularly draw me: Waimea (south and west) and Hanalei (north). Happily, there are no plans for extending the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment