Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

December 25, 2012

One Month Here

It's been a month that I've been on Kauai having my sabbatical/adventure/experience. This afternoon I took a long walk down the beach from Waimea to Kikialoa harbor, about halfway to Kekaha to the west.

The beach stretches for miles from the Waimea River west. Here the sand is dark reddish, not surprising as the place name "Waimea" means red water and the dirt up the mountain is strikingly reddish as well. Walking along the edge of the reach of the surf the sand is firm and supports weight, but one sinks into the the dry sand making it much harder to walk in.

My time here has definitely gone beyond "vacation" and this daily life has become normal. So far I have made some connections and learned some things, but am still getting started. Definitely I need more something to keep me busy, though I have been enjoying the leisurely pace of life with no impending commitments.

So far no great insights or deep realizations. Since I didn't plan this very much I can't say that it is or is not according to plan. I will say that this is definitely the right thing for me to be doing now, and the right place for me to be now. You can't ask for more than that.  Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment