Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

December 23, 2012

HDR

I'm playing around with HDR photography just a bit. It's a digital post-processing technique that uses multiple exposures of the same scene (ideally, tripod mounted identical shots) taken at different exposures. Essentially, for shadows it uses the over-exposed image, for highlights the under-exposed, effectively extending the dynamic range of the camera sensors.

The technique first requires that the shots be aligned precisely - or if not identical, manually lined up. With my little tripod I was able to take some good sequences that align well. Next there are a bunch of different algorithms each with a number of settings that I don't understand yet at all.

For now I just chose a few that look interesting, in full original 6M pixel resolution. Neither looks like the actual scene. I like the sky in the first one especially. The second one looks like it was shot at night in a full moon perhaps.


No comments:

Post a Comment