Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

December 23, 2012

Christmas Ohana Dinner

Tonight I was invited to a family Christmas dinner in the neighborhood here in Waimea. Very informal gathering of twenty-some extended family. Everyone introduced themselves and I chatted with many different local folks. Aletha from the visitor center was very kind to invite me. The spread was impressive, my favorite was grilled fish, but included salads, potatoes, rice, several meat dishes, pickled beans, cole slaw, and several desserts. Everything was delicious, I had seconds and took home a plate.

Among the guests I met Helen who used to run the Hanapepe Cafe. She mentioned several bakers she has helped start businesses after closing the cafe. One was Midnight Bear Breads who she says make very good breads in her kitchen at the cafe. We talked about break baking and she was interested in the yeast starter that I use, so I gave her some. She will take it to the bread bakers and I will look for them next Friday at Hanapepe.

No comments:

Post a Comment