Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

December 11, 2012

Hale Ikena Nui

This morning I am in Kalaheo at Hale Ikena Nui sitting in the large room looking south over the Pacific. I had a gap in my bookings of one night and the owner Patti was kind to let me stay just one night on short notice before I drive around to the north side of the island this afternoon to Haena. Minutes ago a small front moved through bringing wind-driven rain but already the sun is out and the deck is drying quickly.

Patti gracefully and generously shares her beautiful home in a completely relaxed and comfortable manner. I'm in the guest room which is a large bedroom with king size bed, plenty of room including walk-in closet, a huge wall of books, and a private bathroom with shower tub. Everything is clean and in good repair, well stocked. With full access to the large room and full kitchen it's a terrific deal well under $100 (with tax). Her library of books is terrific: plenty of up-to-date local guide and history books with a great number of cookbooks and plenty of general fiction and reading thrown in as well.

For breakfast Patti prepared cut papaya with blueberries and lime, Anahola granola, English muffins, watermelon, fresh-squeezed orange juice, and still more fruit if I wanted it. She gave me some Hawaiian avocados from her garden to take.

Highly recommended: book well ahead (she's booked up most of the rest of my time on the island but I may visit again schedule permitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment