Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

December 10, 2012

Kauai Hiking

Powerline
Trail
Kauai is hiking at its best for me: great exercise and a great experience with just a little adventure always in the mix. I've been taking it easy, not overdoing it given the luxury of plenty of time. Up at Koke'e I was right there at the trailhead of so many great hikes it was easy to do three days in a row and it felt like I could have hiked day after day.
10Nualolo-Awaawa'puhi 11/27
8Kilohana Vista 11/30
8Powerline Trail 12/2
6Halemanu Loop 12/7
8Nualolo-Awaawa'puhi 12/8
10Ditch Trail 12/9
50miles total

Water: For a day hike 3 liters is just right: I always come back with a liter to spare so far, but haven't done an absolute scorcher yet. Water sterilization pills are my ultimate backup. And most of the other "essentials": first aid kit, bug repellent, rain gear, trail snacks.

Foot wear: When relatively dry I hike in the Five Fingers; if it might be muddy, then the Chacos; if really muddy (no need, yet), then the Chacos with Seal Skinz waterproof socks.

Getting to the trail head: "4WD" signs are on a number of roads that lead to trail heads, and this can designate anything from a smooth but unpaved road to a bumpy nightmare. Trying to go gentle on my rental I haven't deployed 4WD mode, yet, and have been walking the off-road access to trailheads.

No comments:

Post a Comment