Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

January 8, 2013

Island Breadmaking


My grandmother Alice baked bread from a "starter" - a yeast culture that is increased and some saved - reconstituted from a small amount brought over. Slowly growing it back up as I moved around, transporting it in closed container for the car trip, and after not having a working oven the last two places, I am baking with it today.

I heard from Evan that Ursa baked with the starter and liked the result, and also learned that they live very nearby the place I am in now, right around the corner. It will be interesting to see what a pro can do with the starter in the coming weeks.

The kitchen here is minimal and the selection of equipment sparse but good enough. The countertop here is not suitable for kneading which is a special challenge and ensures the bread will be poorly shaped, not that I was expert at that anyway. The intermediate risings have been very promising in the warm humid climate here, expanding 3 to 4 times with lots of nice big bubbles in the dough.

The bread came out fine but stuck terribly to the unfamiliar pans. The climate here seems to be great for it so I'm looking forward to baking more soon. I got a local bread pudding recipe I will try with the leftovers as one batch is more than I can eat and I only managed to give away one loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment