Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

April 9, 2013

A New Beginning

I'm retired. To me what this means is that, while of course I am on the hook for a few things like paying taxes (done for this year), more or less I plan on doing the things I choose to do. Surely it's a little more complicated than that with responsibilities to family and friends, but what new obligation I incur will be in exchange for benefits that I choose. Other than paying taxes, of course.
So there is no misunderstanding, in no way do I mean to complain about my recent employer: the company has very enlightened policies with respect to employees, which by the way is very good business, and my coworkers have been amazing in their understanding and support. Mahalo!
Perhaps the biggest lesson from my recent months on Kauai is to trust in things working out - detailed planning is not only unnecessary, it may not help at all. By the end of that trip so many remarkable opportunities materialized that I could not possibly have imagined much less planned for, the experience morphed seamlessly from basically vacation into something more akin to having a life on the island, including all that entails: authentic cultural exposure, and most importantly connections with so many good people of the island. Indeed the hooks were set deep.
Next steps over time will be some downsizing, and a shift toward Kauai, but there is no rush. The next couple of months I have a couple of off-island trips planned: a visit to Maui to help out with an event; a trip to Japan to see family and friends.
That's the extent of my plans: no reservations for a room or a car yet but I have friends picking me up at the airport and a place to stay the first night, and a few ideas of how to wing it from there. I think that's about the right degree of planning at this point.
I'm almost there - on layover at Honolulu airport.
Aloha

4 comments:

  1. Congrats and good luck on your next adventure. I've yet to visit Hawaii, but when I do, I look forward to having a friend to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahalo Parisa, Absolutely you now have a friend here and looking forward to it. And since you missed the pineapple at work will have to make up for that here.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to start reading your blog again and to have you back on Kauai!

    Note: you wrote "detailed planning is not only necessary, it may not help at all" when I assume you meant to write "unnecessary"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to be back and I want to quickly catch up before sunrise and get out on the beach early today.
      Correction is fixed, with emphasis: Mahalo for catching that, obviously key to my point, and you indeed have it right as to what I meant.

      Delete