Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

October 10, 2013

Island days

It is good to be back to the island. I arrived a good hour late due to inter-island flight delay from Maui, then more delay renting a car but made it out of the airport before five. I swung by the storage locker where I stow things while off-island and grabbed nearly everything and with a fairly full Jeep headed for Kalaheo where I am staying right in town.

Wednesday

First day on the island I knew exactly what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go: the Allerton Garden (more info). It's a very special place in so many ways; entering the Lawai Kai valley it feels like you are being immersed in luscious tropical surroundings not quite of this world. Along the road I waved at gardeners I have worked with to say, "I'm back," and they seem genuinely glad to see me. (After all, in some small way I make their job easier.)

The familiar crew was there though reduced in numbers due to continuing budgetary constraints. That six gardeners can keep 83 acres of an elaborate tropical garden in shape is nothing short of a miracle, so I am happy to pitch in. We worked the stretch of road (not on the usual tours) that leads from the bamboo grove along the east bank of the river down toward the house and beach (shown above, right). That curvy coconut tree is just high enough for a truck to drive under it, though they said it gets weighed down when it bears fruit so they have to keep picking coconuts to keep access.
As you can see, their equipment is well used, and even this old truck they only had use of half of the day. Weeding and trimming took the whole day, but the work is peaceful and it's always a treat just to be there and spend time in that environment.
I met some of the other gardeners, got some starfruit at lunchtime, and the day went quickly. While up by the bamboo grove suddenly I heard a crash and looked just in time to see a twenty foot branch come crashing down inside the grove. It was easy to pull out and cut up for hauling to the compost pile. 

Flower in the rocky area
across from the curvy coconut
After work I met a friend for beer to catchup on things and watched the sun set (photo at top) at Glass Beach (in Eleele). A wonderful first day back.

Thursday

At 7am met the local breakfast group that has been kind enough to include me in their gatherings and caught up with everyone. It's remarkably easy to fall right back into the swing of island life even after two-plus months on the mainland.
Mid-morning I drove out to Waimea to visit my friends at the West Kauai visitor center and see how things are in the far west side. By then it was turning out to be quite a hot day.  Lunch at Island Tacos: my usual, the Seared Ahi Wasabi taco. Read the paper at the Hanapepe library and picked up some books for reading, then back to Kalaheo.
A friend's ulu (breadfruit) tree is loaded and he prepared some for me - best I've ever had. He picked it fresh, set the sticky white sap drain out a few minutes, then peeled, cut into chunks, and boiled it until soft like a potato. It was very moist and delicious: the taste is something like a potato with a texture perhaps more like a yam. With salt and a little pepper it was tasty.

Upcoming Events

Orchid on that curvy coconut
This Saturday (October 12) is the Emalani festival up at Koke'e. There will be live music, hula, and a portrayal of Queen Emma in memory of her epic journey up the mountain and out across the Alaka'i Swamp (before the boardwalk was built, obviously) to the Kilohana Lookout (hike). It must have been a sight to see with the queen's entourage trudging through the muck and mud up there for miles: how many European royalty would do such a thing?

Next Saturday (October 19) is "Na Mele No Kaumuali`i" in Waimea featuring original music to honor the last great king of this island. See the web site for latest information and details.

No comments:

Post a Comment