Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

January 9, 2014

Moving in

This week the process of moving to Kauaʻi began at last. (I am catching up here as I have been without Internet service and my usual source of Wi-Fi access at the library was down yesterday at both locations I tried.) On arrival everything went remarkably smoothly. I arrived on-time (thank you, Hawaiian Airlines), got a taxi and rushed to Nawiliwili port to pick up my car.

Getting a taxi

At Lihue airport to get a taxi check if one happens to be available at the taxi pickup lot just to your right coming out of the terminal. Otherwise look for a special taxi phone at the information desk just outside baggage claim. First collect your bags and then pick up the receiver and the dispatcher answers. There is a pickup parking area just beyond the curbside loading area. Fortunately the taxi showed up in about two minutes as time was tight and not getting the car we previously shipped ahead would have made logistics complicated.

Pickup car shipped to the port

We shipped the car last month via Matson so that was my first stop. The taxi driver knew exactly where to go and we got there with under ten minutes before closing time 3pm. The process was easy and took about five minutes. You will need a photo ID to get into the port and for this shipper also the shipping number. The car had arrived safely several days before and was ready to go. I headed for the nearest gas station to fill up as it was low on gas as they request (under 1/4 tank) for shipping.

Signup for utilities

Next stop was to sign up for water and electric utilities of our rental house. Both offices for water and electricity are close together near the Kukui Grove shopping center just west of Lihue. (The water department was tricky to find, see the linked map just above.) 
Both were quick and easy, took about five minutes, friendly service in both cases. The owners were kind enough to keep utilities going in their name until we moved in so the switch was quick and easy. To sign up you should bring:
  • Rental contract (address, ownerʻs name)
  • Check or cash (to prepay for service until regular billing is set up)
  • Photo ID
Prepaying is only required for new customers and probably the amount varies but as a guideline, for me it was $200 electric and $90 for water. 

Home at last

I called and the rental house owners met me at our new house and handed me the keys: home in Kauaʻi. In a little over an hour from the time I landed I was in the house and set to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment