Categories

art (2) culture (4) flora (17) gov (23) grinds (25) hale (10) hiking (25) lit (3) local (54) log (3) maui (5) meta (16) politics (8) recipe (6) relo (11) travel (70)

March 8, 2013

Day 102: end of the road for this trip

Mahalo to the island of Kauai and its people for an amazing time. I'm writing from the Lihue airport awaiting my flight home via Honolulu airport. I've been on-island since  after Thanksgiving and must say that this time period here was just right.

I packed this morning (it always takes way too long), my load lightened by a friend in Hanapepe holding a storage box full of island stuff for my return. No specific plans for a return, but it is only a question of when not if, and I don't think it will be long. Watch this space.

Dogs love to play with coconuts: like a big round green bone with coconut instead of marrow on the inside. If you have ever tried to open a coconut without a machette you know it's a good match for a dog's teeth and jaw. So I drank my last chilled coconut (with a bamboo straw) and tossed the rest into my friend Ed's yard for his dogs since I didn't have the tools to get the  coconut meat myself.

Dropped off my last library book (I posted my collection of books home yesterday, saving 15 pounds of baggage weight, for a few bucks at media rate) and headed to Lihue to gas up and get breakfast.

The Tip Top Cafe has the best macadamia nut pancakes on the island and I had them with their homemade jam instead of syrup. The Tip Top is an informal "seat yourself" diner - with a sushi bar - where the waitresses roll around carts to serve and take away dishes. They are said to have the best sushi available here though I haven't had it myself.

Smooth rental car return and check-in and all that, which brings my here at Gate 6. They asked me to sit in an exit row on this flight - not sure if I'm doing them a favor or vice versa. It's a short climb-and-descend flight. The four pineapples from my farmer friends went through inspection in the bag and will be my main souvenirs. Looks like boarding will start in a while ...

No comments:

Post a Comment